Free Infographic Showing Our Simple Yet Thorough 5 Step Process
Many first-time patients wonder what it will be like to have their varicose veins treated at East Tennessee Vein Clinic, so we created a free infographic that will guide you through our simple 5-step process. Our process and procedures are designed to thoroughly diagnose and treat your varicose veins, each step of the way. The infographic summarizes these 5 steps:
Step 1. Consultation
- During this 1-hour visit, we gather your health history and examine your legs with a brief ultrasound screening to gain an initial impression of the extent of vein disease.
- We then discuss the initial diagnosis and treatment options, including the pros and cons, risks, and alternatives for each option.
- We tell you what you may expect from insurance given your carrier and your particular diagnosis. You will be measured for compression stockings, which insurance carriers require you to wear for a period of time prior to treatment.
Step 2. In-Depth Diagnostic Ultrasound
- In most cases, a more in-depth and detailed ultrasound mapping by our ultrasound technologist is required to confirm the initial diagnosis.
- This thorough map of your vein disease allows us to document and treat all the veins in need of treatment, not just a portion, which is a chief distinguishing feature of East Tennessee Vein Clinic.
- If both legs are affected, a second appointment will usually be required for full mapping in that leg as well.
- We will send the ultrasound findings and treatment recommendations to your insurance carrier.
Step 3. Conservative Therapy Trial
- Most insurances require a “trial of conservative therapy” for pre-approval, which includes the use of physician prescribed medical compression stockings.
- The length of the trial period varies based on the insurance carrier.
- We schedule your treatment plan and make sure you feel informed about each step of the process.
Step 4. Treatment
- All treatments are performed in-office on an outpatient basis, with no scalpel or stitches, and you can drive yourself to and from treatments. Treatment may include:
- EVLT (endovenous laser ablation) to close the large “root source” veins.
- Sclerotherapy, an ultrasound guided injection that seals down the majority of abnormal veins that aren’t accessible to laser. This type of therapy is another distinguishing feature of our practice.
- Microphlebectomy benefits some patients with very large, bulging varicose veins. The diseased veins are removed through small needle pricks in the skin.
- Treatments are 1-2 hours, depending on what procedure is required. Most patients will have more than one treatment over several months, commonly ranging from 2 or 3 treatments to up to 5 for some patients with extensive venous disease.
Step 5. Enjoy Your Pain-Free Legs!
- Because of our thorough approach to eliminating all of your vein disease with the most advanced techniques, the likelihood of recurrence of varicose veins after treatment is greatly reduced. Any follow-up is scheduled only if and when you need it.
- You’re done! And if you’re like the rest of our patients, you’ll be relieved that the process was much easier than you imagined and that your legs feel so much better.
As the first physician dedicated solely to the treatment of vein disease in Tennessee, Dr. Douglass and East Tennessee Vein Clinic leads the region in experience and expertise of varicose veins. We treat veins differently than other clinics precisely because of our dedication to treating the root cause and full extent of each patient’s vein disease.
Visit us online at East Tennessee Vein Clinic, or call 866-281-VEIN, or request an appointment online today. We are offering free vein screenings through April. Please mention free screenings when making your appointment.